Please see below or download the learning project to see what work you have to complete this week. Then, use the different learning tabs on the side to find the lesson and any resources you need.
This week is mental health awareness week so it would be brilliant to incorporate and share some mindful activities during these testing times.
Some ideas may include -
Puzzles - crosswords, word searches
Listening to music / podcast
Scream Machine – Year 5
The expectations are that KS2 complete 5 hours of learning daily and KS1 complete 3 hours daily
Weekly Maths Tasks
Weekly Reading Tasks (Complete 1 per day)
Essential - Complete these everyday
- Complete daily arithmetic problems, located under ‘Remote Learning’ on the school website.
- Complete the Maths resources located under ‘Remote Learning’ on the school website.
- Play on Hit the Button - Focus on times tables, division facts and squared numbers.
- Practice writing out your times tables on a piece of paper – rehearse them orally afterwards.
- Working on Times Table Rockstars. If your child works on Numbots in school they can access this with the same login – this log on is located inside the front cover of your Remote Learning book.
- Log onto Education City and complete tasks set by your teacher – you will also find this log on inside the front cover of your Remote Learning book.
- Read a chapter from your home reading book or a book that you have borrowed from the library. If you finish your book- you can take your test on Accelerated reader online.
- Following this, summarise the events from the chapter. You could bullet point what happened, create a comic strip or present the information in your own creative way.
- Whilst you are doing this, note down any unfamiliar words from the chapter that you have read. Explore the meanings of these words by using a dictionary, reading around the sentence or using print conventions.
- Read something around the house that isn’t a book- you can then complete your reading diary following this.
- Write a book review about a book you have read.
- Write a new and exciting blurb for your book.
Weekly Spelling Tasks (Complete 1 per day)
Weekly Writing Tasks (Complete 1 per day)
- Practise the Year 5/ 6 Common Exception Words – See Remote Learning
- Choose 5 Common Exception words. Write a synonym, antonym, the meaning and an example of how to use the word in a sentence.
- Create a vocabulary bank/ glossary of terms about ‘Scream Machine.
- Proofread your writing from the day. You can use a dictionary to check the spelling of any words that you found challenging. This will also you to check that the meaning of the word is suitable for the sentence.
- Choose 5 Common Exception words. Create an acronym for each of these words
because – big elephants can always understand small elephants
- Analyse the features of leaflets. Make a mind up that shows what the features are and what affect they have on readers.
- Plan a leaflet to encourage people to come to your theme park. Think about the different headings you will include- what do you want the reader to know?
- Write your leaflet, ensuring you include all of the features you listed in your mind map. Don’t forget to make your leaflet beautiful!
- Write a leaflet on something of your own choice. This must be independently written. You may want to write about somewhere you have already visited- such as a zoo or water park.
- Edit and republish your independent leaflet. Check your spellings, punctuation and grammar. I’d love to see your final result.
Learning Project - To be completed throughout the week
Here is an overview of tasks I’d like the Year 5 children to be completing at home over the next week.
Art and Design
Create a logo for your own theme park. You may wish to look at Logos for existing theme parks. Consider their colours, images and what message they give to potential customers.
Select 10 UK theme parks and locate them on a map of the UK. Discuss how far you think they are from Boston and why the theme parks are in these locations.
Choose one of the Joe Wicks videos or a dance tutorial from Oti Mabuse (both can be found on Youtube), I’d love to see videos of you doing this!
Create a scientific glossary of terms for our Scream machine topic. You need to include 10 words with definitions (levers, pulleys, gears, gravity etc.)
Create a radio jingle for your theme park. You may wish to research what a jingle is and what impact it has on the listener. You could record this on an iPad/phone and send this to my email – I’d love to hear your jingles!
Fruits of the Holy Spirit. Complete the task found on the RE page.